Plaid Goat Mountain Bike Fest is a three-day bike buffet packed with for-fun activities for any mountain bike enthusiast. Celebrate mountain bike culture; Canadian Rockies style! We host a Jump Jam as part of the festival to; see below for details.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
Not interested in reading about the event? No worries... check out last year's recap video here. Otherwise, here's what's on offer:
- Jump Jam: riders of every age can participate in a for fun Jump Jam at the Canmore Nordic Centre Bike Skills Park on Saturday June 22 from 3:00 - 6:30 pm. Amazing prizes!
- Expo: come see what's hot for the season in the mountain bike industry and while you're at it, grab some eats and enjoy the interactive activities.
- Demo: sample the newest bikes of the year from a collective of incredible mountain bike brands. Brands include: Cannondale, Ibis, Norco, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Salsa, Kids Bikes Canada, Scott, Evil, etc.
- Regional Craft Beer Tent: handpicked high quality local brewers, wine and other beverages will quench riders’ thirst after an awesome day in the saddle. This is not your average beer tent!
- Bike Rodeo: led by The Flannel Crew, come sign up or sit back and enjoy a full schedule of ridiculousness and bikes.
- Secure Bike Parking: with support from the Canmore Community Cruisers, you can bring your own bike to Plaid Goat and have a safe place to store it while you demo bikes, stroll the expo or replenish with festival food and beverages.
- Group Rides: hosted by mountain bike clubs, icons and super star ambassadors from around the region.
- Coaching Clinics: respected regional coaches will offer unique festival-specific coaching sessions, serving up the chance to hone your skills, meet new people and have fun while learning new tips and tricks.
- Kids Hub: an area devoted to wee groms and grommettes so they can play, dig and relax in a kid-centric space (adult supervision required).
- Wildlife Safety Sessions: learn tips for riding the Rockies safely from respected wildlife education specialists.
- Trail Building Programming: a Digger's Discussion will be hosted for trail builders Sunday morning by the Ride the Rockies Society, Canmore and Area Mountain Bike Alliance (CAMBA) and Trailforks.
- Onsite Rundle's Revenge Partnership: Plaid Goat will be hosted onsite again with TransRockies Race Series’ Rundle’s Revenge! This super fun ride-run race will be hosted directly beside us at the Canmore Nordic Centre. Check out all the action, or join it. Run, bike, do whatcha like!
$10 General Admission: Adults // First 1,000 tickets sponsored by Outside Bike & Ski
Thanks to Outside Bike and Ski, the first 1,000 adult General Admission tickets will be sponsored! Tickets thereafter will cost $10 per adult.
General Admission tickets include Festival and expo access, free non-shuttle group rides and coaching clinics, kids activities, secure bike parking, bike rodeo, but DOES NOT INCLUDE DEMOS OR SHUTTLES. Demo Shuttle Wristband Add Ons must be purchased separately. Tickets are non-transferable.
General Admission: Kids and youth // No charge
Admission for kids and youth is free [but donations to the Ride the Rockies Society are welcome as a gift to the region's trails]. Demos are free for kids bikes, but Demo Shuttle Wristbands are required for adult sized demo bikes and shuttles.
Festival Add On: Demo Shuttle Wristband // $20 per day or $30 per weekend
By adding a Demo Shuttle Wristband to your admission, you'll get to sample the newest bikes of the year back to back for an insanely low price AND be able to grab shuttles throughout the weekend! [just think of the average daily cost to rent a bike alone ($75-$150) – hello savings!]
Demos will run Sat and Sun, though bike brands will be onsite Fri evening so you can plan out your weekend of demo awesomeness.
There will be a limited number of bikes available and as such, a limited number of Demo Shuttle Wristband Add Ons avaialble.
Festival Add On: Coaching Clinics
Coaching clinic info will be announced closer to the Festival dates but will be offered by YYC MTB, Shred Sisters, WinSport Canada, Safer Cycling Calgary and more! While most coaching clinics will be free, some will be paid registration.
On June 22, 2019 from 3:00 - 6:30 pm the Jump Jam will be hosted at the Canmore Nordic Centre as part of the Plaid Goat Mountain Bike Fest weekend! Tons of prizes are available, and the top goat will walk away with $300 cash, while eying up the potential for another $200 for best trick.
Hosted in partnership with B-Line Indoor Bike Park, expect big air, crazy tricks and good times. This event is as much fun for riders as it is for spectators.
PLEASE NOTE: Jump Jam participants and spectators DO NOT require General Admission tickets unless entering the Festival grounds.
Jump Jam Entry Fees
- Kid Goat Jam [green line, push or peddle bike] $10
- Jilly Goat Open [blue & black line] $20
- Billy Goat Open [blue & black line] $30
- Sick Goat Expert [black] $45
Get more info about the Jump Jam and the prizing here.
FESTIVAL DATES AND TIMES
- Friday, June 21: 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm*
- Saturday, June 22: 10:00 am – 9:00 pm* | Jump Jam: 3:00 - 6:30 pm
- Sunday, June 23: 10:00 am – 7:00 pm*
*time of last call, with one hour following to consume remaining beverages in Beer Hub
- Jump Jam participants and spectators do not require General Admission to the Festival
- Admission does not include food, beverages or vendor products
- Admission does not include access to all coaching clinics
- Purchases are non-refundable
- Purchases are not transferable
- The Canmore Nordic Centre requires trail users to bring bearspray (& to know how to use it)
- Waivers are required to be filled out for each participant before entry to ensure you can enjoy anything on offer at the event.
Our commitment to the Rockies runs deep
Plaid Goat will raise funds for the Ride the Rockies Society’s Regional Stewards Program. This program supports the region’s MTB associations by cultivating new MTB trail developments in the Rockies, trail upgrade projects & builder education, enhanced signage or way-finding and research related projects.
More info at www.plaidgoat.ca.
ABOUT OUR SPONSOR
Outside Bike and Ski is a full service shop in both winter and summer, located in Canmore, AB. They have loads of great accessories, outerwear, hard goods + a "rad" team of techs. They even often have canine customer service agents on hand to ensure you're in good company while you shop. Outside's bike brands include: Rocky Mountain, Norco, Yeti, Ibis and Felt. Get more Outside info here.
What does Plaid Goat stand for?
Plaid Goat is a symbol of Riding in the Rockies. It embodies mountain bikers of every type and stripe, and brings everyone together no matter the riding level, experience or discipline.
Plaid as a fabric weaves together different coloured yarn in a crossbarred pattern, just like Plaid Goat brings riders together from every corner of our region. Just for the fun of it!
Ok, but what about the goat?
Well, they're kinda fun. And that's precisely what this event is about. Goats are playful, capable, agile critters and can be found in nearly any part of the Canadian Rockies. No 'kidding' around, we kinda like them and think their personality fits ours.
What bike brands will be at Plaid Goat to demo?
Cannondale, Ibis, Norco, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, Evil, Salsa, Scott, Pivot, Evil, Cleary Bikes and more!
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
No, Plaid Goat is completely family friendly. The only age requirements at the Festival are for those consuming adult beverages, where ID is required to prove 18+ old goat legal status.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
There is free parking at the Canmore Nordic Centre, but if you ride up, we have free Secure Bike Parking on site. Alternatively, Roam Transit buses come to the Nordic Centre too. See the public transit schedule here.
If I'm racing Rundle's Revenge, do I need a Plaid Goat ticket?
Yes, though the events are sharing the Stadium at the Canmore Nordic Centre, they're operated seperately so each event's unique fees apply.
What can I bring into the event?
You can bring your bike, your onleash dog, your friends, your partners, your kids, your spandex, your baggy shorts, or costumes! Though food will be available through many vendors, you can also bring your own food. You cannot however bring your own alcohol as that is a no no from AGLC. Plenty of adult beverages will be available in licensed areas for those 18+.
What should I bring if I'm demo'ing bikes?
Bring all of the normal bike gear including bike shoes, helmet, gloves (if you wear them), water, bear spray and PEDALS. Be sure to bring your own pedals.
Am I guaranteed to be able to demo bikes all weekend if I add on a demo wristband?
As we're carefully managing how many wristbands are sold, your odds are extremely good. But like every other event with demos, we can't guarantee you'll get the exact bike you want at the exact time you're ready. Like the saying goes, the early bird gets the worm & patience can be your friend. We also recommend you use the Friday night Sneak-A-Peek to plan things out and talk to vendors.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Feel free to email us at email@example.com or find more info on our website.
What's the refund policy?
We do not offer cancellations or refunds due to inclement weather or for any other reason.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
You can bring either your printed ticket, or your electronic ticket on your phone.
Is my entry or wristband transferrable?
No, neither are not transferrable.
Why do I have to bring bear spray to ride bikes the Canmore Nordic Centre?
Since April 2014, bear spray has been mandatory gear for all people recreating on the Nordic Centre's trails. This includes while riding at Plaid Goat Mountain Bike Fest.
Bear spray is not needed for hanging out in the stadium however.
Could there be changes to what trails are accessible because of bears or wildlife?
Yes, due to the nature of the nature around the Canmore Nordic Centre and our surrounding area, our wild neighbours get priority. If critters are in the area and the conservation officers deem it necessary, some trails may be closed temporarily or wildlife in area signs may be put in place. Always ride bear aware.
Thank you for supporting Plaid Goat! We can't wait to ride the Rockies with you!