Vroman’s Bookstore is pleased to present George Takei signing his graphic memoir, They Called Us Enemy
A stunning graphic memoir recounting actor/author/activist George Takei's childhood imprisoned within American concentration camps during World War II. Experience the forces that shaped an American icon -- and America itself -- in this gripping tale of courage, country, loyalty, and love.
George Takei has captured hearts and minds worldwide with his captivating stage presence and outspoken commitment to equal rights. But long before he braved new frontiers in Star Trek, he woke up as a four-year-old boy to find his own birth country at war with his father's -- and their entire family forced from their home into an uncertain future. In 1942, at the order of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, every person of Japanese descent on the west coast was rounded up and shipped to one of ten "relocation centers," hundreds or thousands of miles from home, where they would be held for years under armed guard. They Called Us Enemy is Takei's firsthand account of those years behind barbed wire, the joys and terrors of growing up under legalized racism, his mother's hard choices, his father's faith in democracy, and the way those experiences planted the seeds for his astonishing future.
What does it mean to be American? Who gets to decide? When the world is against you, what can one person do? To answer these questions, George Takei joins co-writers Justin Eisinger & Steven Scott and artist Harmony Becker for the journey of a lifetime. (Top Shelf Productions)
George Takei is known around the world for his founding role as Hikaru Sulu, helmsman of the Starship Enterprise, in the acclaimed television series Star Trek. But Takei's story goes where few stories have gone before. From a childhood spent with his family wrongfully imprisoned in Japanese American internment camps during World War II, to becoming one of the country's leading figures in the fight for social justice, LGBTQ rights, and marriage equality, Mashable named Takei the #1 most-influential person on Facebook, with 10.4 million likes and 2.8 million followers on Twitter.
- This is a graphic memoir signing only.
- Everyone must have an Eventbrite ticket to join the line. All tickets include one copy of They Called Us Enemy to be picked up the day of the event at check in. Additional copies of They Called Us Enemy will be available for purchase the day of the event.
- George Takei will personalize with names only, no messages.
- Photos from the line are OK, posed photos are NOT okay.
- George will be signing copies of They Called Us Enemy ONLY and will NOT sign any Star Trek items or any other memorabilia.
- After check in – signing line placement will be first come, first serve.
If there are any questions about the event, please call Vroman’s Bookstore at (626)449-5320 or email us at email@example.com.
(The end time noted on this listing is an approximate end time, and may be subject to change)